What is Scan the Store?
- The latest and greatest remote update we've made to your Tovala! Now you can use your oven to cook store-bought food perfectly, just by scanning its barcode and pressing start! Starting with Trader Joe's frozen foods.
- The reason why we can't WAIT to go shopping at Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's frozen foods with oven/toaster cooking instructions are the first compatible with Scan the Store. More foods and brands will be compatible soon!
- One more thing your Tovala can do that other appliances can't. Your Tovala can't help how effortless it makes home cooking. Apologies to the rest of your kitchen.
Learn more here.
Scan the Store Quick Tips
When using Scan the Store to cook groceries in the Tovala App, follow these quick tips.
- Preheating: Not needed!
- Oven Rack Position: Always the lowest.
- Following Cooking Instructions: Only follow if they say to poke holes/flip, etc.
- Foil-Covered Tovala Sheet Tray: Use when cooking, unless instructions say to put food directly on rack.
Scan the Store FAQ
What foods can currently be cooked via barcode in the Tovala Oven?
All food in the frozen section of Trader Joe’s with oven/toaster cooking instructions can be cooked in the Tovala Oven via barcode. If you're at the store and wondering if something's compatible with the Tovala Oven, you can use the Tovala App to scan its barcode and check.
When will you be making more grocery store foods available to cook via barcode?
We're actively working on adding more foods to our database. We'll release more in the near future. Sign up [link to Email Signup section] to get notified when we do.
What are the benefits of cooking via barcode in the Tovala Oven?
We make cooking grocery store foods more convenient, eliminate preheating, and improve how your food cooks. The Tovala Oven can automatically switch between multiple cooking modes and temperatures to cook your food better than any other oven would.
When I cook grocery store foods via barcode, can I ignore all the cooking instructions on the packaging?
You can ignore the instructions that specify preheating, temperature, cook time, and oven rack location (cook on the center rack, etc.). However, for the best results, you should still follow any action instructions, including instructions for removing or puncturing film, flipping, stirring, rotating, etc.
Does the Tovala Oven always use multiple cooking modes and/or steam when it cooks via barcode scan?
Our chefs figure out what works best for each food. Sometimes that means using multiple cooking modes and/or including the oven's Steam mode, and sometimes it doesn't.