Everything in our packaging is recyclable. The box and packing materials your Tovala Meals come in are recyclable too.
Really, everything is recyclable?
- Yes! We’re proud that our packaging is 100% recyclable. And our gel packs can easily be reused or safely disposed of.
Tell me more!
- Below is a breakdown of how to recycle each component of our packaging and packing materials.
Recycling the parts of a meal.
- Meal's Box: Collapse and recycle curbside.
- Meal Insert (with meal name, barcode, nutrition info, instructions): Recycle curbside.
- Garnish Tray (filled with lidded cups/packets of sauces and other garnishes): Collapse and recycle curbside.
- Clear Garnish Cups: Follow waste management guidelines in your area for recycling #5 plastic.
Clear Lids for Garnish Cups: Recycle curbside (these are made of #1 plastic, the same as water bottles).
- Sauce Packets: Follow waste management guidelines in your area for recycling #4 plastic.
- Aluminum Meal Trays: We recommend cleaning out and keeping the trays your meals come in to reuse for heating up food in your Tovala. Otherwise, recycle them curbside.
- Plastic Salad Containers: Recycle curbside (these are made of #1 plastic, the same as water bottles).
- Plastic Film on Meal Trays: Follow waste management guidelines in your area for recycling #7 plastic.
Recycling the delivery box & packing materials.
- Cardboard Box: Collapse and recycle curbside.
- *Insulation with Silver Outer Wrapper: For the silver wrap on the outside of the insulation, follow waste management guidelines in your area for recycling #7 plastic. The inner foam is polyurethane and can be recycled at many recycling centers that recycle more than bottles and cans.
- *Insulation with White Outer Wrapper: For the white wrap on the outside of the insulation, follow waste management guidelines in your area for recycling #4 plastic. The inner pad inside can be recycled curbside.
- *White Insulation (Foam-Like, One Piece, No Outer Wrapper): Introduced Spring 2020. We're really excited about this one. Recycle it curbside! It's made from #1 plastic, so you can recycle it with your plastics.
*We use two different types of insulation, depending on where you live and the weather/temperature during the transit of your meals. Follow the recycling instructions for the type of insulation you see in your box that week.
Recycling Gel Ice Packs
- We recommend keeping and reusing our ice packs for keeping items cold in coolers.
- Otherwise, cut the plastic open, empty out the gel into the garbage (which is nontoxic, non-caustic, and biodegradable over time), rinse the plastic, and recycle the plastic curbside.