We're excited you've received your first box of Tovala Meals! Here is some helpful information to know before making your first meals!
Read each meal’s instructions
- Each Tovala Meal has its own individual instructions on its sleeve. Read this help page first, then follow those instructions to prepare your meal.
- The little garnishes that come separate from the meal trays should be added before cooking your meal or after cooking your meal.
- The instructions will specify what should be added "before cooking" and "after cooking."
Find nutrition information, allergens, and expiration date on meal packaging
- Meal packaging contains nutrition information and allergens on the sides of the packaging.
- Be sure to check each “Enjoy Before” date on the front of the packaging.
Prep your trays
- Take each tray’s plastic cover off before cooking and apply any "before" garnishes. Sometimes you'll have to spread on a sauce or stir in a broth.
- Be sure to check each “Enjoy Before” date on the bottom of the sleeve.
Put both trays in at once
- If your meal has two trays, put them both in the Tovala at the same time, UNLESS the instructions specify one tray does NOT need to be cooked. Sometimes we include "cold sides" in meals.
Can I cook more than one Tovala Meal at a time?
- You can cook two of the same Tovala Meals at once (for example, a Chicken Tagine and a Chicken Tagine, but not one Chicken Tagine and one Miso-Glazed Salmon).
- If your Tovala Meal is only one tray, then you can cook up to four at one time.
- You only need to scan the barcode once, even if you're cooking multiple of the same meal at once.
Keep the door closed
- Don’t open your Steam Oven while a Tovala Meal is cooking—that will lower the oven temperature and might change how your meal cooks.
It’s hot, be careful
- A big plume of steam will roll out of the Steam Oven when you open it. It’s hot, so be careful! We suggest you use an oven mitt to remove trays.
Follow along on the Tovala App
- Open the Tovala mobile app while your meal is cooking to see the time until your meal is ready! You can also see what cooking step your Steam Oven is on by clicking on the countdown displayed!
Fridge is best
- Tovala Meals are made with fresh ingredients and at their best and most delicious when stored in the fridge. However, you can freeze them before their “Enjoy Before” date if you’re unable to finish them sooner—just thaw them completely before cooking.