We're excited you've received your first box of Tovala Meals! Here is some helpful information to know before making your first meals!
How does the Tovala actually cook Tovala Meals?
- You scan the barcode and the Tovala gets data from the cloud to know how to cook that specific meal perfectly.
- You start your Steam Oven by pressing the control knob and your Tovala follows our chef's recipe, switching between steaming, baking and broiling.
- And, you enjoy! The Tovala sends your phone a notification when your meal is ready.
Keep the door closed while you’re cooking
- You don't want to release any of the steam or heat!
Be careful—it gets hot
- Because it's like your regular oven and not like a microwave, your Tovala takes a little while to cool down. Use caution when reaching in to take food out. That's the perfect time to use your Tovala hot pad!
- As a general rule, let your Steam Oven cool off after cooking.
- Your Tovala might get too warm if used for extended periods of time, but if you leave the door open and let it cool down between usages, you'll be fine.
Cook in a cool oven
- Tovala Meals are calibrated to cook in an oven that starts at room temperature. So if you’re cooking Tovala Meals after already using the Steam Oven, let it cool enough so that you can comfortably hold your hand against the oven door before cooking your Tovala Meals.
Your Tovala's self-protection safety mechanism
- The Tovala has built-in features to protect itself from damage from overheating. Unlike a normal oven or toaster oven, the Tovala has complicated electronics (similar to a computer) that need to stay cool. So, like your cell phone out in the summer sun, the Tovala will shut down before overheating to protect itself.
- The “Er 1” message will display on your Tovala when it's afraid of damage from overheating and shuts down to protect itself. Just leave its door open and allow it to cool down.
Follow along on the Tovala App
- Open your Tovala mobile app while your meal is cooking to see what step the meal is on and how long until your meal is ready!
Fridge is best
- Tovala Meals’ fresh ingredients are at their best and most delicious when stored in the fridge. If you aren’t able to finish them before their “Enjoy Before” date, you can freeze them before that date hits. Just be sure to thaw them completely before cooking.
Also be sure to...
- Take the plastic covers off the Tovala Meal trays before cooking.
- Apply “before” garnishes as the packaging instructs.
- Feel free to cook more than one meal at once, as long as they're the same meal type (for example, a Chicken Tagine with a Chicken Tagine).
Read through these Tovala Steam Oven Basics if you want a refresher on the Tovala itself!