Here's an overview of how to cook Tovala Meals!
Scan the barcode
- All of our Tovala Meals have barcodes on their sleeves. All you have to do is scan a meal's barcode and your Steam Oven knows how to cook it for you!
- Learn more about how to operate the barcode scanner.
Keep the door closed while you’re cooking
- You don't want to release any of the steam or heat!
Be careful—it gets hot
- Because it's like your regular oven and not like a microwave, your Tovala takes a little while to cool down. Use caution when reaching in to take food out. That's the perfect time to use your Tovala hot pad!
- As a general rule, let your Steam Oven cool off after cooking.
- Your Tovala might get too warm if used for extended periods of time, but if you leave the door open and let it cool down between usages, you'll be fine.
Your Tovala's self-protection safety mechanism
- The Tovala has built-in features to protect itself from damage from overheating. Unlike a normal oven or toaster oven, the Tovala has complicated electronics (similar to a computer) that need to stay cool. So, like your cell phone out in the summer sun, the Tovala will shut down before overheating to protect itself.
- The “Er 1” message will display on your Tovala when it's afraid of damage from overheating and shuts down to protect itself. Just leave its door open and allow it to cool down.
Also be sure to...
- Take the plastic covers off the Tovala Meal trays before cooking.
- Apply “before” garnishes as the packaging instructs.
- Feel free to cook more than one meal at once, as long as they're the same meal type (for example, a Chicken Tagine with a Chicken Tagine).
Read through these Tovala Steam Oven Basics if you want a refresher on the Tovala itself!